Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Computer Is Always Right

I love computers. I really do. I think that they're a valuable tool that makes everyone's life easier, even the people who wouldn't go within ten feet of a computer voluntarily. (Actually, do those people exist anymore?) The problem occurs when actual intelligence is subservient to artificial intelligence. What I'm referring to is a situation where clearly the computer is wrong and the solution is simple and obvious, but somehow no one is able to step in and override it.

My experience at Best Buy today is a great example of this.

My roommate and I needed a new all-in-one printer. The Brother I bought years ago that grudgingly worked with Windows has declared outright war on Macs, specifically my roommate's Mac. It refuses to work with her computer at all, which is a pretty big headache since she needs to use the scanner fairly regularly for art. We've debated getting a replacement for a few months, but never got around to it.

We decided that yesterday was the day. I had a $15 rewards certificate from Best Buy that was set to expire that day, plus the printer we wanted had a great price. We hit one minor snag, though. Actually, multiple minor snags in the form of holiday shoppers forming the longest line I had ever seen in a Best Buy before. It occurred to me that we could order the printer online with in-store pickup. I could use the certificate and we could just pick up the printer with minimal hassle.

Or not.

Despite the fact that there were about ten printers in the store fifteen minutes before closing, I still received an email this morning saying that the store couldn't fulfill the order because the item wasn't available. Naturally, we were both a bit skeptical and decided to check it out for ourselves. We found the display and there were eight printers left.

Now, common sense says that I wanted a printer and they wanted to sell a printer, so I could easily get this problem ironed out and there would be a nice shiny new printer at home tonight. Unfortunately, I forgot I was dealing with computers and customer service.

After the obligatory computer menu and a few minutes of hold music, I finally had a person on the line. I explained the situation. He explained to me that despite the fact that I was holding the item in my hand, the computer said that there were none in stock and so nothing could be done. I might be able to talk to someone who worked in the store to find out what they wanted to do, but it probably wouldn't help since the computer said there were zero in stock. Oh, but it might be possible to have another store send a printer to the store I had ordered it from.

I thought briefly about trying to flag down a store employee, but realized that would be an exercise in futility. There were ten people in line at the customer service desk, so that wasn't a very appealing option either. Finally, I gave up and told the man I was talking to that I would figure out what I wanted to do and call back.

My roommate and I carried the printer that didn't exist back to the seven other printers that weren't really there. After all, the computer is always right, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment